Monday, December 15, 2014

Maybelline: Define-A-Lash Mascara

Hi everyone,

Happy Mascara Monday and hope your week is off to a great start! Today's review is of Maybelline's Define-A-Lash Mascara. This mascara retails for $7.99 at Ulta and $6.19 at Target. This mascara does come in two different formulas, waterproof and washable. I will be reviewing the washable formula mascara, not the waterproof version.
Photo Courtesy of Target
Maybelline describes this mascara as, "This Maybelline New York Define-A-Lash Lengthening Mascara creates stunning length with clean definition and zero clumps. Patented shaped-to-the-lash flexible brush. Ophthalmologist tested, contact lens safe." Maybelline recommends to "Sweep mascara from your outer lash to inner lash, sweeping brush slowly from root to tip. Do not let dry between coats. Removes easily with soap and water or Eye Makeup Remover."

Overall, I think this is an awesome mascara that is very overlooked and underrated. I really love the fun green packaging of this mascara. The tube is rather slim which is great for traveling and bringing it with you for touch ups. The shade of this mascara is "very black" and it is just that - a very dark black mascara. I think the color of this mascara is perfect for everyday wear or special events. It's your perfect classic black mascara.
When I first saw the mascara wand I was really unsure if I would like it, but turns out I absolutely love it! The want is the perfect shape for getting at your inner and outer lashes. The wand itself isn't flexible but the bristle end is flexible. The rubber bristles of the brush do a great job of applying the product to your lashes. This mascara is especially wonderful for people (like me!) who have fine, thin, short lashes and who are trying to make them appear longer and thicker. I love that in addition to lengthening and volumizing my lashes, this mascara does a great job of separating my lashes too.

The formula of the mascara is more of a wet formula which I really enjoy. I did find that it applied a bit clumpy, since it provided lots of volume and makes lashes look dense and full I was willing to overlook it. I do think since I've had it for a while now, that the formula is clumping a bit more than it did originally - at the very beginning I don't remember this mascara clumping at all. Overall, I've been very impressed with how long this mascara lasts without drying out. I've had mine for 6+ months now (I don't use it everyday) and the formula is still very wet and perfect to use.
Maybelline Define-A-Lash Mascara applied without curling lashes
The one negative I have of this mascara is that there was a slight smell to it, a kind of rubbery, traditional mascara smell, but I didn't find it to be unbearable and I couldn't smell it after applying it. It's definitely not displeasing enough to not use this mascara.

Final Verdict
The two things I always look for my mascara to do is to lengthen and volumize my lashes. This mascara does just that and I absolutely LOVE it! I love the overall look this mascara gives my lashes! I don't think this mascara gets enough hype so I've really been wanting to do a review of it so people know how great it is. I will definitely repurchase this mascara and I highly recommend giving it a try!

Have you tried this Maybelline mascara? Which other Maybelline mascaras do you love? Please leave a comment below, I'd love to hear from you!

Thanks for reading!
-Meg

No comments:

Post a Comment