Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Too Faced: Bulletproof Brows

Hi everyone! 

Today's review is of Too Faced's Bulletproof Brows set which includes a brow brush and a pot of 24-hour waterproof cashmere clay brow product. I purchased this product during Ulta's 21 days of beauty where they've been selling best selling products for half price. Because of this sale I was able to purchase this product for $15 when it normally retails for $30 for the brush and 0.07 oz of product. You can purchase this product at Ulta, Sephora, and on Too Faced's website. In terms price, it's definitely one of the more expensive brow products I've tried but since it was half off with free shipping I couldn't resist giving it a try. 


In terms of colors, this product only comes in two shades - universal taupe and universal brunette - which I think can be limiting for a lot of women if you don't fall into one of those two shades. In particular, if you're blonde, I think the taupe shade will be much too dark for you. This shade is a warm-toned brown so if you tend to prefer cool-toned brown eye products then this might not be right for you. While I am a brunette, I generally prefer my brows to be not too dark and I find that often times brunette brow products make my brows look too defined, unnatural, and sometimes are darker in color than the rest of my hair. Generally, I tend to use brow products to fill in my brows and even out the color across my brows (since the outer portion of my brows are much lighter than the inner parts). So for those reasons, I bought this product in universal taupe, with the intention that it would be more of a brow filler product for me.
First and foremost, I love this product! I generally gravitate toward automatic/retractable or regular brow pencils rather than pot type products applied with a brush. It took a little getting used to at first for me to get comfortable using this product and making my brows look structured yet natural, but once I did it was fast and easy. The formula of this product is so creamy and smooth so that when you're applying it just glides on, and once it dries the product's not going anywhere so you don't have to worry about your brows moving throughout the day or smudging!

In terms of packaging, I love that this product comes with a double ended brow brush specifically for this product. I find that both ends are essential for me creating a great natural brow look. Honestly, this is one of the best brow brushes that I've ever used. I also really like that for the pot part of this product there's an extra cap to help keep the product fresh and prevent it from drying out. Since this product is so expensive and I don't want to repurchase it before I have to, this is a great feature. Additionally, the inside of the pot has a mirror which makes on-the-go or traveling with this product very easy. 

The box does give some instructions on how you should brush the product onto your brows - they recommend that you change the angle of the brush as you go. unfortunately my brows are narrower than the width (or about the same width) of the brush so I can't use their technique. Instead I just do small strokes on the angle to mimic the appearance of brow hairs and give the illusion of more filled in brows.
In terms of longevity, I don't think this product would actually last 24 hours, but I do find that it does last an entire workday which is all I really need it to do. In terms of being waterproof, I find that this product comes off very easily with a makeup wipe (which is usually how I remove my makeup) so it's easy to remove at the end of the day. I haven't actually tested this product in the shower or swimming so I'm not sure how it would hold up in that case, but it does last even if you sweat on hot summer days. Additionally, Too Faced claims that this product is smudgeproof which is true and not true at the same time - but it's actually a good thing! When you first apply the product you can definitely smudge it, which is great because it helps to create a more natural look. Once it does set though this product doesn't smudge so you don't have to worry about your eyebrows moving during the day.

Here are some hand swatches of the product applied with the angled end of the provided brush. This is a medium weight swatch - I went over it a couple of times so you could see what it truly looks like. 

Additionally, here are some swatches of the product applied on my brows with the included brush and blended out with the spoolie. The photos below starting out on the far left show my natural brows, then the product in natural light, and on the right the product taken with a flash. Sorry my natural light photo isn't the best. If you're interested in more pictures of this product in natural light (or with a flash) leave me a comment below and I will upload some additional pictures.

All in all, I definitely recommend this brow product (if you match either of the two shades). I think it gives a very natural looking finished brow. It is a bit pricey so I don't know if I'd necessarily repurchase it, but I think it was a bargain to buy it while it was half off at Ulta.


Have you purchased anything during Ulta's 21 Days of Beauty? Are there any brow products out there that you use all the time and/or always go back to because you love it?

Please leave a comment below, I'd love to hear from you!

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment