Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Ulta: Lipstick (Matte, Cream, Shimmer)

Today's review is of four of Ulta's collection of lipsticks. I have 2 cream, 1 shimmer, and 1 matte shade of these lipsticks. I tried to get a variety of colors and finishes to give you guys a good idea of what the product is like in all its forms. All of the lipsticks retail for $8 for 0.12 oz of product, but you can often find them on sale for 50% off or buy one get one free (which is really the same thing in the end). In general, my Ulta store seems to always be sold out of the more popular colors so I usually buy these online.
 The four colors I picked up are:
     - Wicked (#253 Matte)
     - Think Pink (#235 Shimmer)
     - Bit of Berry (#246 Cream)
     - Perfect Nude (#226 Cream)
In terms of packaging, this lipstick is very sleek and classy for a relatively inexpensive product. It comes in a long gunmetal silver tube with a clear see thru top so you can see the color easily from above.

Here are some hand swatches of the four different shades. 

From left to right: Perfect Nude (cream), Wicked Red (matte), Think Pink (shimmer), Bit of Berry (cream).

Overall, I found that the formula of these lipsticks varies a lot between the different types. 

I absolutely LOVE the cream lipsticks - they are smooth and oh so creamy! They glide on the lips so nice and effortlessly, and look so natural. The cream lipsticks are also pretty moisturizing and don't dry out the lips. I will absolutely be buying more of them in the near future. 


My next favorite was the matte lipstick, but I have to warn you, it was VERY matte! Unlike some matte lipsticks which say they're matte but aren't actually matte, this lipstick was very matte. It went on smoothly but it was definitely a bit drying on the lips (which is common for many matte lipsticks). The color payoff and opacity of the matte lipstick was absolutely phenomenal though! What you see in the tube is what you'll see on your lips. I just wish that there were more color options for the matte lipsticks as Ulta only has 6 shade options. I am considering purchasing the Basically Berry or Sweet Caramel colors in the future though as I do love matte lipsticks. 


My least favorite formula, and one I definitely wouldn't be purchasing again, is the shimmer lipsticks. I find that this formula has very poor color pigmentation and the glittery pieces are too large so you can very easily see them on your lips which I don't like. In the tube, the color I bought looked incredibly bright, almost neon, but when swatched on the hand or the lips it appeared very subdued and required multiple coats to achieve a color that was visible. In general I don't usually like shimmer lipsticks (I think I bought this one accidentally in stores where they don't distinguish between the cream, sheer, and shimmer lipsticks) and I really don't like this one. For a shimmer lipstick to look good in my opinion, the shimmer needs to be very fine so it doesn't stand out which unfortunately isn't the case with this lipstick. I would advise not purchasing the shimmer lipsticks and instead go for the matte or cream lipsticks.


Below are some lip swatches and additional photos and information on each of the four colors I purchased.


Perfect Nude (#226 Cream)

I absolutely adore this color, it's absolutely gorgeous! Nudes can sometimes be difficult to wear, but this one leans more pink than brown which makes it totally wearable and perfect for everyday!


Wicked Red (#253 Matte)
This is your quintessential red matte lip! I love it!














Think Pink (#235 Shimmer) 

As I said above, I absolutely hate how large the shimmer in this lipstick is, as well as, how translucent and no opaque it is. The color in the tube looks vibrant and bright, but on the lips it's very subdued.

Bit of Berry (#246 Cream)
I love this color - it's going to be perfect for fall! It does look a tad bit more intense in the tube than it does on the lips.


All in all, I highly recommend trying out the cream and matte Ulta Collection lipsticks and passing on the shimmer lipsticks. I think you'll enjoy them a lot and get lots of use out of them!

Have you tried any of the Ulta Collection Lipsticks? What are your favorite shades and formulas? I'd love to hear from you!


Thanks for reading!

1 comment: