Tuesday, October 14, 2014

NYX Cosmetics: Dark Circle Concealer

Hi everyone!

Today's review is of the Dark Circle Concealer by NYX Cosmetics. I recently stocked up on a bunch of NYX Cosmetics products during Ulta's 40% off sale so you'll be seeing me review several of their products over the next couple weeks. But honestly, how could I pass up a deal like that?!?
I do struggle with dark under eye circles and I'm always trying out new products to see which work best at covering them. I love trying out drugstore products because I'd love to find a cheap option that works well and that I can recommend to people to try out. So far I'm still on the hunt because unfortunately this product did not work for me. Nonetheless, I am reviewing this product because I know it does work on some people. This product received a 3.8/5 based on 90 reviews on Ulta's website and a 3.8/5 based on 44 reviews on the NYX website, which shows that for some this product is amazing while for others it just doesn't work.
Okay, so to start this product retails for $5.99 at Ulta and $6 on the NYX Cosmetics website. The concealer contains 0.10oz of product and is available in four different shades - fair, light, medium, and deep. I selected the color light, which will be the shade described throughout this post.

This is an orange-toned product which is suppose to counteract the blue and purple tones of under-eye circles. Since I have a significant yellow undertone to my skin, I didn't find that this orange-toned product wasn't all that color correcting on me. It actually seemed more like a regular concealer to me, as the orange was very faint. I think this product would work best for those with neutral undertones who don't need much help with color correcting. I was honestly expecting the product to be much more orange based than it actually is, more like the Ben Nye Mojave Adjuster in Sienna Orange, Adobe Brown, or Apricot.
The formula of this product is very lightweight and creamy, and it contains coconut oil which helps moisturize and hydrate the under eye area and keep it from getting dry. Unfortunately though, this coconut oil does end up making the product feel a bit on the oily side. When applied, it made my under eye area seem very oily and shiny, and since I have dry skin so I can only imagine how bad it would look on those with oily skin!
This concealer claims to be full-coverage, but I think it is much more of a light coverage product, as my dark circles seemed to still show through even after multiple layers of it. However, when you use multiple layers of this concealer it looks very cakey and unnatural. This concealer does have some light-deflecting particles in it which help to brighten the under eye area, but unfortunately on me, all these did was illuminate the area where my dark circles weren't covered - not a look that I want! I also did find that this product settled and creased into the lines under my eyes, so I wouldn't recommend it for older people who may have more fine lines and wrinkles than me.

As I said briefly above, I was disappointed in the orange-tone of this product. Since it claims to be an orange based concealer, I was expecting much more of an intense orange shade. In the photos below (left is a light swatch, right is a heavier swatch), you can see that the concealer actually seems more pink and salmon in tone than orange on my skin. I think you can also tell from the photos below how sheer and light coverage this concealer is. Also, you can see that it has an oily sheen to it, even in the natural light photo which was taken without a flash. I honestly don't see any difference with it applied to my under eye area.
Final Verdict
All in all, I like the creamy texture of this concealer, but there's no coverage or pigmentation so even when you apply multiple layers of this product it still shows your darker circles through it. I thought the formula was a little too oily and too lightweight to do much color correcting or providing much coverage. In all honesty, I will probably return this item as it doesn't seem to do anything for me and I know I won't use it.

Have you tried any NYX concealers yet? Are there any that you would like to see me do a review on? Please leave a comment below, I would love to hear from you!

Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the great review on this dark circle concealer! xo-Jane | www.sheermiracle.com

    ReplyDelete